22 May 2013

What's Up Wednesday: 5/22

It's time again for the What's up Wednesday meme/bloghop. Each Wednesday bloggers post about their respective week/day using the headings that follow. Join in the fun with this link to Jaime Morrow's blog - thanks again to Jaime and Erin for putting it all on, it's no small task!

What I'm reading

 

Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art of course...

My journey through the Psalms continues, more on this below.

I've also found an interesting site called Narrative Magazine. It came to me first as an app for my iPad, which I like better than the actual site because of how clean and quiet it is. There's some great material there, and it's free!

What I'm writing

 

"Dystopolis" is nearing an end, finally, and my goal is to have it available for sale within this month - I'm sure I'll let you know when people begin flocking!

This morning I revamped my second book. I've decided to begin at page one and rewrite the story with a different approach. Last week I mentioned that I didn't feel like I knew my characters, and I think starting from another point in the story will help. The pages I've written are not lost, I'll use much of what I've done, but not much of it - the way it stands now - will make the final cut.

Short story ideas have been flowing. Although I haven't set any words to paper, I've been jotting notes like crazy. Stay on the look out for more after "Dystopolis"!

What else I've been up to

 

Now that we're somewhat healthy, we're trying to get our vehicle healthy. The transmission died last Friday, and so the remainder of our free time has been conversation about where to fix our troubled van. It's good tomorrow is the last day of school, we need a break!

What inspires me right now

 

Last week I said I'm full because of my family and spring, I'm still full. I look around me and I see brokenness everywhere, then I come home and I couldn't ask for more. This morning I read Psalm 50; the last verse says, "The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!"



And surely the right way is paved with a thankful heart. I'm full.

9 comments:

Jaime Morrow said...

That's great that you've found a new way to make your story work. I think those breakthroughs are the best because they get you excited about your story all over again.

I hope everything gets resolved with your van without too many headaches!

Alison Miller said...

Oh man - that sucks about your van. I hope it gets healthy soon!

And just so you know - the story I recently finished revisions on...well, I rewrote it twice from scratch (keeping some of the previous writing) and was much happier each time. It was a much needed and very rewarding journey. Good luck!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Cars are always such a headache! Well, the type of cars I have tend to need a lot of love and repair.
Glad that despite these challenges you're finding fulfillment as well.

Elise Fallson said...

How wonderful it must feel to have your book almost finished and ready for release this month. Wish I could say the same, but I still have so much work to do on it. Baby steps, I guess. (:

Erin L. Funk said...

Good for you for revamping your second book! That's a huge task, but sometimes those challenges are what make writing worthwhile. I hope the new approach works out.

And I love the photos. I often miss the chubby little hands stage. They grow up so quickly!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amen!
Let us know when the book is available - can give you a shout-out.

Ian Anderson said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by! You all breathe such new life into this space!

Gina Gao said...

Bad cars are always a pain. This is a great post.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Stephanie Allen said...

I rewrote the MS I'm about to query twice, and this is the third time I've started my current WIP over. I think it's safe to say I swear by rewriting :)

Good luck with your rewrite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...